Homeschooling is no small decision. We know we are commanded by God's Word to raise our children in the knowledge of Him. Who knows our daughter better than us? Deuteronomy 6:7 says this, "Impress them [His commandments] on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up."
Learning is way of life.
1. CHOICE---We have purposefully chosen to educate our daughter "at home" rather than in a public school setting. I put "at home" in quotes, because the road ahead will have us at home only part of the time. The adventures which await outside our walls are entriguing and inviting at the least! The choice to homeschool is likened unto comparing Apples and Oranges. You know the old cliche. It's true, however. Trying to compare the different types of schooling is futile. There are a myriad of opinions. Just like you cannot compare an apple to an orange, schooling types cannot be compared. Simply different choices. Praise God that we live in a country with the freedom to choose.
2. LEARNING AS A LIFESTYLE---Living out what we say we believe. Experiencing life to the fullest. Not being confined to one room or building all day being forced to do worksheets. Being in the community. Calculating in the grocery store. Getting along with those other than just peers. Museums. Road trips. Enjoying God's creation by playing outside...during the day. Digging in the mud. Washing the dogs. Cooking brownies. Painting a masterpiece. Reading classic books. Seeing Mom & Dad as lifestyle learners. Seeing God's hand throughout history. Real life. Moment by moment.
3. EDUCATIONAL STYLE---We have the glorious opportunity to teach in tried and true learning styles which have proven effective throughout centuries as well as adding in modern day technology along with lots of fun. Though Kindergarten will be filled with lots of reading, playing, counting, playing, reading, playing and reading and reading...wink...we hope to move in the direction of Classical Christian Education for First Grade on up. Right now we will proceed with FIARand lots of Lapbooking. We also like the relaxed style of Charlotte Mason. These are such fun ways for PandaGirl to learn and not even realize she is learning something!
4. INDIVIDUAL INSTRUCTION---No two people learn the same way. In a classroom full of 20-30 children how can each child have their academic needs met? Kudos to those teachers who give their best. We need them! PandaGirl's personality is one that would buck the system if she didn't like what was going on and/or just give up because she didn't get "it" right the first time. In a classroom filled with kids she would more than likely be left behind. Homeschooling allows us to meet her academic needs and help her engage in the learning process rather than simply giving up in frustration.
5. SOCIALIZATION---The biggie that is most talked about. I think there is something good to be said about a child being in a classroom setting with their peers learning about different personalities and the way people work (or don't work) with others. There is also something to be said about our child's foundational years being built upon the social network of other children whose families do not uphold the same values as ours. True socialization is when someone is integrated with people of all ages and through various events and experiences. Learning to communicate and work well with people in general is ideal. As adults, how often are we in a setting of a group of people our exact same age? I can't think of any. Not even college. Our society is one in which people of all ages, races, backgrounds, religions, etc. all come together. How awesome it is to expose our daughter to many types of people throughout her day as opposed to being in a room with just her age group. I cannot leave out the reality of how young children are when they are exposed to sexual issues (even through certain toys). Is there anything wrong with wanting to prolong a child's innocence? I think not. It is our job a parents to protect our children. Not over-protect to their detriment, but to at least, let them enjoy being a child for as long as possible. Satan would love nothing more than to latch on to our children. He has a plan for them and it is NOT for their good. God has a plan, too. It is mine and PandaPop's job to lead her in that direction. There is lots of fun instore for her. PandaGirl will have the opportunity to be in Ballet, an Art School, Bible Study, Awana, Choir, Missions, Library and to make sure she does have time to play with her peers, we have a playgroup of other homeschoolers. Socialization is not an issue.
6. FLEXIBILITY---For our family, this is huge. With PandaPop being in ministry with the potential to travel as well as having no family in close proximity we are delighted to know that we can up and leave at a moment's notice without disrupting PG's school schedule. We can come and go as we please, take "school" with us, go on vacation at anytime of year, have many field trips, have a picnic lunch together...the list is long of what we are free to do with our time. Within this area I also am grateful for NO HOMEWORK! I feel so sorry for the many parents who complain of having no time for family, always feeling rushed and harried, not having a clue about their child's assignments, not having the ability to help their child and live a life full of busyness. I am grateful to not have to mess with the tedious task of homework.
7. CONTROL---Our daughter will have some control over what things she wants to learn. Of course, she will have to learn math facts, correct grammar and how to read, but she can also hold dear those things in which she takes great interest. How sad to find something interesting in school only to have the teacher tell you that you can't keep going because "it's time to move on to the next subject". When PandaGirl happens on something of interest we can explore it more deeply for the love of learning. We also have CONTROL over what she is taught. We don't want her isolated and taught only what we think best, but we certainly don't have to relinquish control over to a secular school system where the curriculum was chosen by someone who knows nothing of our family and more than likely will have humanistic teachings.
8. FAMILY---Our family is not conventional. We did not come together in the typical manner. We have no idea what is ahead for our family, whether we will be an "only child" family or if the Lord will choose to add to our number. We are a close family and are excited to see our little "team" fashion itself in the likeness of Christ. I am overwhelmed with excitement to be able to watch PandaGirl grow and learn!!! I would hate to miss out on the way she develops academically or even the small things throughout the day when she discovers something for the first time. We missed the first 15 months of her life. We don't want to miss any more.
9. PERSONAL GROWTH---Homeschooling is no small feat. I am sacrificing a part of me to do this. I could very well pursue something on my own, but I am choosing to devote my energies to the education of PandaGirl. Along with this, I will HAVE to learn in order to teach. The personal growth that I will encounter is priceless.
10. DELIGHT---Despite the hard days to come, the disappointments, the commitment...I am looking forward to the joy of learning. I have already seen a desire from PandaGirl to jump into learning. Not by workbooks, but by hands-on experince. She is an all or nothing girl. She wants to EXPERIENCE things, not just hear about them. I hope to delight our daughter in life and along the way she will learn.
There are pros and cons to homeschooling.
We believe the benefits far outweigh the faults.


9 comments:
Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I don't know how in the world I have missed yours up until this point but I absolutely love it! I will definately be back to hang out a little longer. You have a precious daughter!
wow -- you have such a beautiful heart. your daughter is blessed
What a great post on homeschooling!! I love all your reasons... you'll have to keep us updated on the progress!!
Jennifer R.
Well...I wholeheartedly agree as you know!!!! I couldn't have said it better myself!!! Thanks for these reminders of why we do what we do! It is my passion! IT is my calling! I cherish everyday with my little girl! I know you d too! I just wish we lived closer...oh what fun we'd have together with our girls....even though CHelsi is older...she loves the little ones! She's such a little mommy to them!
Blessings!
Denise
I have absolutely loved reading this post. A good friend of mine and I were just discussing this topic last night over dinner. It is weighing heavy on my heart. Thanks for sharing your heart on this subject.
Panda-Mom~ You did an excellent job on your list of reasons to homeschool! I'm excited for you and the adventure that lies ahead. :)
Hey fellow China traveler! (this is Gail in MD, BTW) Have been lurking on your blog for awhile but had to post. You have articulated exactly all the reasons we will be homeschooling our own Pandagirl next year. Wish we were closer to all the kids from our group...miss seeing you guys! Will follow your homeschooling journey and keep you posted on ours. I'm excited to begin!
As an elementary school teacher, I really apprecite how respectful this post is. I am a strong supporter of homeschooling and think it can be a wonderful, well-rounded education for some children. I applaud those who make the decision to do so.
Good luck with this new, exciting journey!
Homeschool or not - I can't imagine your family without these core values. Whatever happens, I'm sure they will be incorporated! And coming from the public schools, I know that many children, families, and teachers stand to be blessed by your child and family.
Post a Comment