I have been toying back and forth for several years...even before PandaGirl came along...about homeschooling. I would waffle between the pros and cons of public school, private school and homeschool. I was a Speech Therapist in the public schools for over six years. I taught in private Christian schools for three years. I have MANY friends who homeschool. I have seen the good and bad of all three. For awhile I was beginning to think that I wouldn't be able to hs due to PG's strong will and oppostion to everything I tried to show her. After finding out how she learns best, we have finally decided that the best option for our family is to venture into homeschooling.
If you are unfamiliar with this incredible world of learning let me encourage you to research it out before thinking that I have lost my ever-lovin'-mind! LOL! School is NOT like it was when I was there. I have personal issues with "teaching to test" which loses the joy in learning. PandaPop and I also believe very adamantly that this generation of children MUST be taught about our heritage as Believers in Jesus Christ. In fact, PP is starting a new discipleship course this Sunday for the parents of our children at church to show the importance of teaching the Bible in our homes and raising a godly generation of kids who KNOW truth and can defend it.
I have been researching online and through books about the various styles of homeschooling and the overwhelming amount of curriculum available. I think if most parents knew how much there was at their fingertips they might just think about homeschooling for the simple joy of learning along with their kids! I have also joined The Homeschool Lounge which is a fabulous place to spend time learning with other moms in my same boat. They vary as being from Texas, having a Chinese daughter, teaching in a certain style, having an only child, or whatever. It is just exhilarating to connect with like-minded people!!! I have already crossed paths with a few bloggers I already know.
My next post will be The Reason We Homeschool. I hope to shift this blog to one which incorporates all the fun, learning and growing we do as a family with homeschooling as a part of our life as opposed to just cute pics of PandaGirl and the occasional Thursday 13.
Tuesday, March 25, 2008
The Start of Something New
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


17 comments:
How incredible! I will be praying for your family as you start this journey. I pray the Lord will give you clarity and peace on your curriculum choices. I know the Lord can give you very clear, perfect directions for your family.
What is ironic is we are in the process of having our little guy evaluated for special ed services so we can determine the best educational route for him. I never thought I would have to type those words, but ultimately I am realizing we are called to do what is best for each individual child. I am having to take this new direction day by day as I find myself so skeptical to think anyone could have as great an interest in my child's success than me...
Anyway, very excited to here about your new journey!
Hugs,
Brandi
I have not been called to homeschool...YET....but have a feeling it is coming in the next year or so :D I wish you well. If you go to my site and look at my blog links (Keeping the Home) She homeschools her 4 kids and most for free and relatively inexpensive. She is Christian and her homeschool reflects that.
So exciting!!! What curriculum are you going to be using, or are you still researching? We didn't start seriously considering the idea of homeschooling until moving up here and seeing how many of our professors homeschool their children and how INTENTIONAL they are down to the smallest detail. I completely agree with you about the concerns with public schools, how those need to be weighed so heavily. I just always had a really bad taste in my mouth about the whole idea (including the idea of me possibly being HOME ALL DAY!) but the more I see how families up here approach, the more I am compelled to do so one day myself~
You go girl!!! I too have toyed with the whole home-school idea. I think i am a "little" bit ADD and im not sure I could stay on task. I would have to have lists everywhere!!! :0} Would love to hear what curriculum you will use.
Congratulations! I homeschooled my oldest until 1/2 way through 5th grade. At that point it was better for us both for her to go to public school. She's doing great, and is a high honor student. They jumped her ahead a whole grade when I enrolled her, as well.
There certainly are pros and cons to both. Don't stress about a curriculum, you'll probably change your mind numerous times before finding the 'perfect' one.
When she gets older, you've got to check out 'spelling power' - best spelling program out there. LOVED IT.
Glad you came to your senses!LOL
Homeschooling has been the biggest blessing by far I have received from the Lord. To be quite honest, I never considered homeschooling before, for all the factor or excuses that we say: I don't have the patience, I am not a trained teacher, socialization issues. One by one with prayer I have surpassed all those "issues". I will say that there are days I ask myself, "what are you doing"? But most days are filled with fun, joy, and love with my brown eye girl.
It truly is exciting and an adventure.
Many blessings.
Ivy
Yay for you! I don't homeschool, but love the idea of it! You'll be great!
Wishing you all the best as you take on this role. I hope it will work out well. I admire how you've researched this and given it such prayerful consideration.
Fondly,
Lisa
I applaud you on this endeavor. I have often wondered why I, as a teacher, wouldn't want to homeschool. What's wrong with me? Anyway, I think it's awesome!!
Did I already know you were an SLP? Do you know I am as well? Crazy!
Sounds like you have really researched what you are doing with homeschooling, so I applaud you and wish you the best of luck in your new adventure!
of course...i would be honored
Welcome to the homeschooling journey! Our children are what we call "second generation homeschoolers" as both my husband and I were homeschooled. As with anything there are ups and downs but the rewards are so worth the effort!
Thanks for stopping by my blog. It's always fun to find new 'friends'.
I am happy for you! I know you will be great at teaching PG. Kuddos to anyone who can HS, it is NOT for me!!! :) Spring Break drove me crazy. LOL I love my kids but they need to be away from me as much as I need to be away from them!
That's really exciting news! I look forward to hearing all the little details.
How exciting! I know you will do an awesome job and will be a wonderful teacher. I have thought about homeschooling but right now it's not what God has planned (I am still praying for patience and right now I don't have enough to homeschool lol)...
Proud of you. I, too, know the ins and outs of public, private and now, homeschool. NEVER thougth I would have gone the homeschool route, but when it gets right down to your child's education, you do whatever is best for him/her!
Post a Comment