Wednesday, March 12, 2008

"They Soak Up Stuff Like Sponges"...yeah, right.


Here's the deal. My precious PandaGirl whom you all have come to know as cute, adorable, witty and all around a great kid also has a side that I haven't shared much about. I mean, come on...it wasn't something to brag about so I chose to not post those things. However, I thought of this contrast yesterday and it fits so perfectly to my darling little one's desire to learn things on NO-one's terms but her own. The saying goes that "children soak up knowledge like sponges". Well, THAT is not one size fits all. My sweet pea is more like a...



It's true. She basically doesn't want to take in anything I try to teach her. Now, I can't say EVERYthing, but for the most part it is a struggle to get her to "get it"! Not because she isn't smart...that little toot just doesn't want to be told to do it. Duh. I so wonder if God gave her to me so that I would listen to Him more. Not buck him on things. Sheesh! What a lesson for me.

I have come up with the bare basics to get her to do things I want her to do. EVERY SINGLE TIME she pushes her lip out, furrows her brow, folds her arms, slings her arms, huffs & puffs, etc...I calmly make her stop, do the thing over again and again and again until she can accomplish whatever task asked of her with joy instead of dread or loathing. Whew. This morning we started a routine of making her bed after going to the potty. You'd have thought I asked her to eat liver and onions while sitting in the middle of a snake farm. The drama started and I oh so very calmly, had her go through each step without even one sigh or ugly toss of the arm until the bed was made. She was whining that she "didn't know how" all the while I am saying, "That's why I'm TEACHING you." My carnal side wanted to say, "DUH!", but the good mommy (ONLY by the grace of God!!!) gently let her know that we would do this together and it would be a good thing that she learned.

Breaking headline news....The little girl in Texas learned to make her bed and was actually happy about it! She is now so happy and showing so much love to her family because she now feels accomplished and has a boundary. Back with more news later.

13 comments:

Jinglebritches said...

we definitly need to get these "twin daughters of different mothers" together again!!!

Glorious Expressions said...

Hooray for Pandagirl AND Pandamom! Wow...no joy like success with our child! Well done thy good and faithful servant. ha ha (your blog is absolutely darling and hilariously funny...)

Thanks for an awesome fun day with the 3 of you, yesterday. Shopping ....and 5,000 Easter eggs and tons of candy==plus another 7,000---sounds like a FUN TIME IN THE PARK for a lotta excited kids and parents...and grandparents. ha ha And MAYBE even some sick tummies afterwards. ha ha Yuk...& not to forget... SOME VERY TIRED RABBITS. HA HA HA

Again, congrats on the Bed making success, that's neat, as well as ..that the occasional "Miss Princess of Opposition" is so HAPPY WITH HER own ACHIEVMENT...(as well as yours)!

Proud of/for you both. Keep on, keeping on!
C U then, luvya

GloryandGrace said...

How is it that I'm able to picture the scenario so well in my mind? Not just PandaGirl, but imagining you helping her, biting your tongue at times, and trying your BEST to not get outwardly frustrated at her. I'm encouraged to hear about how you walked through the teaching process with her, as long and frustrating as it may have been. I LOVE you :) XOXO

Nikki said...

Good job to both of you girls!
(And, I do believe that God took great care in picking our children for us...I have learned SO much about myself from Lily's less than perfect characteristics!)

Steffie B. said...

way to go for both of you....they need to learn these things....could PG come over here and teach Emmie because I think she forgot how! lol

Denise C said...

I am sooooo with Steffie here....Chelsi has forgotten as well....maybe it is that "tween/teen" thing going on!

Anyway... please send directions on how to Make the bed to my daughter..she needs a refresher course!!! hee-hee!! ;)

Anonymous said...

Love it....I can so see this happening you handled it so well.

Terri said...

Thanks for sharing that with us. Great job! It is hard when we try to teach them things for their own good. I think you have a great plan that you follow for each new mountain you have to climb. I think I will use that next time we have a new skill to learn here!

Anonymous said...

I sooo know how you feel!! You know the struggles I have with Sarah! She'll eventualy do something, but on HER terms. I know what you mean about wondering if God gave us our kids for a reason!!

Debbie said...

Pandamom, I found you at 3 Boybarians...the "pandamom" name intrigued me. I love your blog and loved your post about blogging. I had been creating a post like that in my head for weeks because I feel the exact same way you do. It was "funny" that the Lord led me right to your post about it last night. And now, can I tell you that I have never met anyone who can make sponges look so pretty! Thanks for letting me stop by!

Mommy Spice said...

Way to go Mommy!! I totally know what your saying with wanting to respond with...Duh!! And I'm sorry to say....I have. Ugh!! But I try to be a patient mommy as well in teaching a "head strong" little girl. Very good on the bed making!! I remember my grandmother and I making my bed together every morning, her on one side, and me on the other.

Mommy Spice said...

Oh, and the sponge/porcupine....hilarious!!

jennypen said...

Love this story - I can completely relate. Any suggestions for dealing wisely with this strong willed attitude in a toddler? The pregnant me prayed every day for our girl to be healthy and strong...maybe next time I'll pray that the child be healthy. :-) PG is all the sweeter for her ornery side!