Saturday, June 09, 2007

Sunscreen, Swimming and S'mores, Oh My!



It's time again. Summer Camp. We are so excited to go to Children's Camp with our new church!!! We are taking over 140 kids in grades 3-6 from our church to camp for a week of bliss! Well, I wouldn't stretch it as far as THAT. Bliss? There WILL be lots of laughs, changed hearts and memories made, though. In one week's time you can develop a year's worth of relationships just from being with each other in such close quarters and REALLY getting to know people. I can't wait to get there and get to know our "new kids" better as well as all the adult sponsors. I haven't really had a chance yet to get to know the kids on Sundays, because I am going in different directions than them.

Since we came into this position about six weeks ago PandaPop has been trying to wrap his hands around everything, pick up where the former minister left-off and move on with new things. The camp theme was already chosen before we arrived, but PandaPop has done an AMAZING job following through with it. It is called Character Camp themed after the Disney Cars movie. PERFECT! We love that movie so much and all the stuff to buy for it makes it really easy to decorate. The t-shirts are soooo cute, but you'll have to wait until after we get back to see pics of them.

PandaGirl is going with us, of course. Ever since PandaPop and I have been in ministry together (our whole marriage) we have wanted our child(ren) to be a part of everything with us. We LOVE having PG "help" us with getting ready and being at fun events with us. She is the little mascot of sorts and we LOVE IT!

I am headed out Sunday with the early crew to help set up for the campers while PP will stay here until Monday morning to help get all those sweet little darlings on the YELLOW DOG (school bus, for those of you wondering) so I won't be able to blog for a whole WEEK! I am already looking forward to catching up on my favorite blogs next weekend! LOL!

In the midst of the fun, the friendships, the music, the crafts, the games, the mosquitos, the tiredness, the hotness, the sweating, the whining and the camp food there is the nitty gritty. The part where children's hearts are forever changed by hearing the Word of the Lord. Putting TRUTH from God's Word deep down in their hearts. Building a foundation of TRUTH. Preparing the next generation. M-m-mmmmm. That's why we do it. Eternal vision.

17 comments:

Polar Bear said...

Sounds like it will be so much fun! Have a fantastic time!

I love your graphics!

Sheryl said...

I went to children's camp every year as a kid and loved it! Memories for a lifetime!! I know you all will have a blast!!

Terri said...

what camp are you going to? I remember going to preteen camp with Sami 3 of her 4 years and one year before she went. I couldn't go her last year b/c JC had just been born and I wasn't sure about taking him. I thought long and hard, I was going to do it! I sure miss it. But JC goes the first time next year and then Jenni will go in 3 years. I will be going with her for sure! It is such a joy! Have a great time!!!

Mommy Spice said...

Hey, you guys have fun!! I can't wait to hear all about it. We'll see you on the 18th!! Can't wait.

Adele said...

The camp sounds like so much fun! Before we got our daughter, we worked very closely with the youth at our church and went on every Centrifuge, Ridgecrest, World Changers (MY FAVORITE) trip with them every summer. My heart was always stirred along with the kids and I got as much out of the camps as they did. We miss being with our youth and plan to get back involved soon with them.
I hope you have a great trip and I can't wait to hear all about it.
I will pray that hearts will be changed and that the kids will be very receptive to what God has to say to them.
I hope PG has a great time as well. I KNOW they all adore her.

Jinglebritches said...

Have a great time!!! What an awesome opportunity to touch those young hearts. Blessing upon blessings.

Journey on! by Kelleye said...

I love this! I have always wanted that for our children- amazing it has never worked out! I want them to have that Summer Church camp experience!!!!!!!!!Though- I am stuck with out having one at our church and not being comfortable sending them with a group that we don't know... So I will read about your stuff and be blessed from it! Can't wait to hear the details!

Kelley said...

By the time I'm reading this, you're already at camp. I hope y'all had a fabulous week! Can't wait to read the recap and see the photos!

Steffie B. said...

Have a great time....I love smores....hmmm might have to do that this week! ;)

Emmie said...

Sounds like a blast! I remember summer camp...good times! NOw my parents just send me all the way to Europe for 2 weeks. They can't come pick me up if I can;t sleep well then, lol! Well, have a great time!

Praise and Coffee said...

That cartoon is hysterical, I may have to borrow that one!!

Hope everyone has a blast at camp!
I'm trying to find time for the meme, but with Lauren's surgery and traveling I am not at the computer as much.

Blessinsg,
Sue

Unknown said...

i very much want to experience camp again. I may have to volunteer next summer somewhere..

Come on CHina, speed up the referrals so I can go to camp!

Stephanie said...

It sounds like you all will have a great time. I think it's wonderful you can do it as a family.

redmaryjanes said...

Have a fantastic time at summer camp!! What a great way to spend some weeks.

Jada said...

I have been camping one time.I was 6 months pregnant with my dd when my dh said lets go camping.The kids said yeh!!We went and I slept in the van.Oh my ,my back was killing me.So I am going to have to try it again my dd is three now.

Mama Darling said...

Have fun! Are you taking your trusty umbrella? I love your popcorn cartoon graphic.

Seriously, I hope many of your kids accept Christ this week and make decisions that will change their lives completely. May God bless you.

Mindy said...

MAN - that's a lot of campers! Glad to see from the following blog that you all had fun!
It was so nice of you to stop by for a visit at my blog. And I have to wonder about a pink parsonage.....sounds really interesting. AND you are right we are blessed just in a different way.
For us the blessing is that we have a home to live in......without the parsonage we might be in our van.....so that is a BIG blessing in itself.
Good to meet you and I look forward to getting to know you more!
In HIM - Mindy