Friday, June 29, 2007

Ohhhhhhhh yes, this is gonna be a BIG-O venting post so get ready...

Yesterday I came across this new cause that some Hollywood "stars" have come up with, which at the heart of is truly a need, but in typical Hollywood fashion the results make me gag. Someone has come up with Omni-Peace: a movement to help end extreme poverty by 2025. Worthy cause. Yes.


The picture you see here is on the site and very moving. So sad, indeed. Then there are all these "stars" sporting their new tank-tops with the clever peace symbol -slash- Africa logo of this new movement. Here's what gets me going. As I recall Courtney Cox, one of the big supporters lookin' all cute and sassy in her tank along with her cute hubby who is also a Hollywood actor, made a whopping $1 MILLION PER EPISODE in the last few years of her jaunt on "Friends". Yes, you read that correctly. It was reported during that time period of the show's run that the actors were being paid ONE MILLION DOLLARS for ONE weekly, twenty minute episode of a sitcom. Hmmm....in ONE week she made enough to do quite a bit of good for extreme poverty. This is not to forget all the other gobs of actors on this poverty band-wagon. Who wants to bet that not ONE of them gives up their fame, glamour or high-lifestyles in order to help end all the poverty??? And yet, our wonderful society will lift these people up as if they are doing some noble thing. My $35 a month that I pay to World Vision to help a little girl named Talent who lives in Zimbabwe, Africa "costs" me far more than Miss Cox's one week's pay.

Don't comment to me about me not caring about poverty. I do. I am continually grateful for the blessings I have. I can't end poverty, but I can help change the life of Talent and her family...and I don't need a sporty tank to do it. Period.

12 comments:

GloryandGrace said...

I honestly think that, at it's root, it's not for a good cause. It's a form of self-promotion, something I witnessed and was appalled by while watching American Idol this past season. My friend here who is a physical therapist offers a perspective on these kinds of issues that differs from mine and helps me to see it from her point of view. However, I'm with you - Hollywood can't help those organizations that virtually get no sleep devoting their complete time and energy to not only feeding people, but to doing so from a foundation of the Gospel truth.

Thank you for your "big-o venting post" - I love you~

Phat Girl said...

PM, I agree with you 100%. It's amazing how much a Hollywood actor gets paid....and we still have poverty, hunger, homeless, neglect, abuse, and many other situations that keep people down. I had the same conversation a couple of weeks ago with some friends.....how much money do millionaire's actually donate to charity?

Good Post!

Sheryl said...

OH, I have SO felt your frustration on this issue. The truth is, instead of actually giving to these causes, many actors are actually PAID to promote the charity. It makes my tummy turn.

Abby said...

Great post PM! I truly believe that Hollywood actors do very little out of selflessness. They feel guilty about the money they make, so they come up with a charity to make themselves feel better, but then it turn around and make it their PR junk.

Terri said...

AMEN!!!

Taylor said...

Those are my thoughts exactly. Amen, sista!

Ashley said...

Well put!

Elise said...

Well stated....and soooo true!

ohAmanda said...

Oh, I think about this all the time. These "stars" that give millions of dollars...what's the percentage of their income? As Christians, we tithe 10%...are they even giving that?

Boasting about giving defeats the purpose!

Steffie B. said...

Well said sista! ;)

Mommy Spice said...

Wow! I have thought these thoughts but never put them in to words. I love what Amanda said about boasting defeating the purpose. And, is it true what Sheryl said...getting paid to promote a charity? Surely they don't keep the money...do they? UGH!!

Adele said...

I totally agree with you. If they really cared, it seems they could hand over some of their own money.
Makes me mad!!!