Monday, December 04, 2006

Leopard Print Blessings...


I think I have forgotten that my blog isn't JUST about PandaGirl and all her cuteness, but rather I can post anything I want about anything I want. Today while we were at Sam's Wholesale Club purchasing food for a party I saw this older African-American woman wearing a black skirt and turtleneck with a very furry vest, black gloves with leopard print trim along with a black velvet hat trimmed in the leopard print as well. I LOVE leopard print stuff. Don't have much of it, because too much is gaudy. A touch of it is classy. PandaPop doesn't care for it so much, but I adore it. It is a VERY common practice of mine to compliment total strangers on something that I like that they are wearing or if I like their hair cut, etc. I think most of my friends have been around me when I ask a complete stranger if I can take her picture because I love her hair. Never once has anyone told me no. Compliments make people feel good about themselves. I don't do it for anything other than I feel soooo compelled to tell them. Like, I can't go on without letting a girl know how stunning she looks, or how beautiful her eyes are or how a piece of jewelry really looks great. The list goes on and on. I love the look on someone's face when they hear a compliment out of the blue from a stranger. Sometimes it is a shy smile I get in return or embarassment that I pointed them out or sometimes there is the woman who looks like maybe it was her first compliment in a very long time. Disbelief even. I love it. Maybe that's my gift. Big woohoo, huh? Well, it makes a difference to the people I share with. OK~Back to the lady at Sam's. I went to her and told her that she looked absolutely stunning in her outfit and that her furry vest made me want to just hug her. She blew me away with her response. She took my hand and said, "Oh, honey, blessings on you. Blessings on you from the top of your head to the soles of your shoes. Oh, Father, thank you for your blessings when we don't deserve them. Oh, Lord forgives us for the things we have done today. Things we don't even realize that we've done to hurt You. Oh, I pray for healing and blessings on this precious sister. Thank you, Lord. We ask for all Your blessings to rest on us. In the name of Jesus we ask this. Amen." I was in tears!!!!! My heart was BURSTING with peace and joy! I was so blessed by her countenance and the warmth in her gloved hand holding mine. This is smack in the middle of the frozen section at Sam's, mind you. It dawns on me a few moments later after I gathered myself a bit that I had just prayed and written in my journal this morning that I really wanted the Lord to "captivate my heart with His beauty". Uh, I think I got one of those huge "YES" answers from my heavenly Father!!! Don't deserve it, but He gave it. You better believe that I will continue my lifelong habit of complimenting strangers. You know, I never saw her again in the whole store. Hmmmm. HEBREWS 13:2 DO NOT FORGET TO ENTERTAIN STRANGERS, FOR BY SO DOING SOME PEOPLE HAVE ENTERTAINED ANGELS WITHOUT KNOWING IT.

11 comments:

Mommy Spice said...

It is your gift. I was a recipient of your generous words today, and yes, I was blessed. Thank you. I love your personality, and I love you!!

Mama Darling said...

Doesn't God work in mysterious ways? Feel free to compliment me at any time. I will just act like a stranger, if that makes you feel better. Your bubbly personality adds a lot to our group! Why haven't you ever asked to take a picture of my hair? Hmmmm...

Mommy Spice said...

OK, I went and looked at the blog we were talking about to day and, UGH!! Disgusting.

Anonymous said...

Hey I think I figured this thing out!!! I loved your "Snow". You need to come up north sometime and see the real thing. It was 6 degrees here the other day. But we are nice and warm today its 12.
Sandy

Phat Girl said...

PandaMom, I enjoy your blog so very much! Thanks for sharing this. It brought me to tears just reading it! You have a great gift. Praise God for Strangers like you who lift up God's people! I will pray for you today!

JenLo said...

Wow. That's pretty amazing. And that is a gift--I never talk to people at the store. I'll have to try it.

Anonymous said...

Wow, God is amazing!!!

GloryandGrace said...

So this is how my brain bounces from thought to thought:

"Entertaining Angels"-->
Newsboys -->
Phil Joel -->
"Swing low sweet chariot, it's time to flyyyyyy" -->
enter PandaMom's favorite bass note in the song that I couldn't even hear until she pointed it out

:)

Gloria said...

Well, for me...this BLOG is one of your best and most touching writings...and what I write in return is never meant to take anything away from your deserved glory or reward/writing---but this whole episode COULD HAVE EASILY AND HONESTLY BEEN WRITTEN BY ME on a rather daily basis, from high school right up to last NIGHT... at the Mall where we (Baylor Choir) held a concert...following after a group of very, very special tiny group of children about 2nd or 3rd graders with mixture of Africa-Am, Hispanic, and one little blonde girl. Their leader, as well as the darling kids gave their ALL N ALL ...average to poor performance for their age/education but TO ME they were TOPS...out of our 100+ membership, I was DRAWN by habit and heart to touch/talk w/each kid/parent to let them know 'God and I LOVED their awesome voices and beautiful Christmas music to baby Jesus. The day before, we sang for the newest/largest nursing/retirement home to a packed out crowd of 'forgotten grannies/grampa's...and I went to each one to FIND something to say (silly, serious, compliments, whatever...) giving hugs, handshakes...making dates ha ha---while my co-hearts, also Christians, pastors, professors, Bible teachers glung together like clanish 5th and 6th graders.
Yes, Jana, this is one of my proudest moments in reading your blog and yes, it IS GOD GIFT that He wants us to 'give of ourselves' and He ALWAYS returns the blessings 100 fold. We have always been proud of you but this part is a reflection of BOTH of us...and of the GIFT that He Gave!!!
The part about the lady's shocking you with a 'prayer of Blessing over you, for your sweet compliment has ALSO happened to me three different times...all three were black ladies, 2 were from other denominations. But the first one was in Office Max...and almost like yours in Sams. And with God's great humor or connecting people together...with the first lady...she and I ended up starting a STATE WIDE PRAYER WARRIOR PROGRAM assisting Chaplains in youth prisons to pray for SAVED kids inside the walls who ASK for our prayers specificially, with personal letter contacts/prayers for their personal family problems and their overcoming prison gangs who get the greatest joy out of making a 'good kid' lose his ranking by starting fights. Many wish to be ministers after getting out to help kids in trouble...and God with prayers ....is truly their ONLY way through that mess.
Anyway, again, never to take away from your awesome LEOPARD fur prayer testimonial...cause it's tops...I just want ya to know how happy for you...for your heart...for you being a reflection of HIM and us in your adult character as well.
Oh, yes, I bought you the leopard cuffed black gloves/scarf last Christmas---and decided you probably would not like that at the time...so are you still interested...THEY ARE STILL IN THE DRESSER DRAWER. ha ha ha luvya, M.

Gloria said...

Sorry, I was trying to proof my writing above when ZAP...my comment flew off to publishing withOUT my permission. ha ha ha sorry.
Rem: it's the thought that count. ha ha

Anonymous said...

That particular bible verse is dear to my heart. My family sees it as my sister, an Angel sent to teach us. Yes, they do walk among us every day!