These pictures are over 30 years old. I am the little one in all three of them. Fuzzy at best when taken by a digital camera from an old photo. Memories, none-the-less for me, though. For some reason this weekend I have been feeling very nostalgic just thinking about my growing up years in the spring. I always think of my maternal Grandma and Grand-daddy's ranch home way out in the country. I am the baby of 25 cousins with SEVERAL second and third cousins. My grandmother was 40 when she had my mom who was the baby of 9 children. Each of those kids had lots of kids and so forth. Prettty big family. Of course, we have all grown up and live in many different parts of the world living our own separate lives. I always associate spring and Easter with my cousins and spending Easter Sunday dinner and egg-hunt at my grandparent's. It is something that can't be explained. Just in my heart. My mom always made that bunny cake made from two cake rounds, ears cut out, decorated with coconut, jelly beans, etc. I seriously thought MY mom designed this "original" cake until I was a grown up, met PandaPop and HIS mom made it, too! Funny.
One memory that stands out in my mind is my brother (who is 8 years older than me) and the boy cousins hiding Easter eggs for the younger ones. They would think they were soooo darn funny by "hiding" some of the opened candy eggs on COW-PILES!(for those of you unaware of what that is...think cow-POO!) There was always the "walk", as well. My aunt was usually the ring leader and always had a walking stick with her. This wasn't just for Easter, but rather pretty much anytime we had Sunday lunch out there, we'd all gather up and go for a walk in the fields, woods whatever.....sometimes walking all the way from my grandmother's to my aunt's (several fields away....that's the only way I know how to put it. Divided up between my grandmother, my mom and her siblings was several thousand acres!!) and end up at the creek. To any city-folk this probably sounds retarded, but to me and anyone who grew up in the country it is pure heaven. I haven't even lived NEAR the country since 1993, and have become quite accustomed to city-life and being minutes away from practically any store or restaurant I want, but there will always be that longing to be in the country. Fresh air. Beauty. Ahhhh. Nothing like it. I think this is why I am always trying to do so many things with PandaGirl and take a gazillion pictures, so that she too will have great growing up memories from which to pull. Do any of you have certain memories which remain a constant in your mind and heart? Please share! ; )

2 comments:
Love this post. My Mother also made that rabbit cake. You have brought back sweet memories to me. I love large families. Sophia will be our 5th child. You are so fortunate to have so many cousins and siblings.
oh my, sorry about that 'Rabbit'...not a family secret or family Heirloom...ha ha LOL
The idea came out in the Sunday newspaper (Pillsburg ad..ha) when your brother helped me create those 'bunny cakes'for many, many years before you were created. ha ha
So sorry for the disappointment.
Cute blog tho...for a walk down Memory Lane. (old photos may not be the cutest...but they ARE special ha ha) Just wish now that I had taken MORE PHOTOS to look back upon to remember and chuckle over at times. Blessings 2 U
Post a Comment