Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Just Like He Said They Would...

Where do I start without sounding like I'm ranting? I am cringing at the latest "Oprah" junk. She sooo claims to know God, but her foundation has cracked so much that I honestly question her salvation. May I be so bold as to even DO that? I am not being arrogant, just watching the fruit growing off her tree...and it shows NOTHING of being of the God of the Bible.

Now she has the whole world at her fingertips and spoon feeding them a book called, A New Earth. I looked it up for my own research to see what all the hooplah was about and sure enough---the author is a New Age dude who throws in some Bible lingo and a few Scriptures here and there with his ways to better yourself and become the person you are supposed to be...blah...blah..blah.

In light of heading out for a mission trip where the TRUTH of God will be lived out, talked about and proclaimed, I just can't shake the eerie feeling of how the words of the Bible ring true in our day and age of Christians being dissuaded from the Truth which saved them in the first place. How SHALLOW have we become?!!! It is so scary when I hear very public pastors missuse Scripture by twisting and turning the real Truth into something to fit their agenda or WORSE---flat out teaching heresy (false teachings and calling it from the Bible). Then what REALLY gets my goat is the born-again believers
F-A-L-L-I-N-G
for all the crap and lies like cows to the slaughter!!!!!! Can I SCREAM THAT ANY LOUDER THROUGH THIS BLOG!!!!!????? Why, oh, WHY are believers led astray by false teachings? I am NOT claiming to be perfect by any stretch, but I do believe that I purposefully keep my eyes and ears attentive to any false teachings which go against the teachings of the Bible.

After clicking through a few websites and after watching Oprah yesterday (I never even watch TV during the day, but I clicked it on yesterday and listened to the most ridiculous hoo-hah ever!), I find myself more-so-than-ever wanting to live out TRUTH in my life. God is who He says He is. Period. The "Law of Attraction" was a phrase thrown around on the show about how whatever "vibes" you put out in the "universe" is what the universe will give back to you. So all these people (half were believers in "God") started thinking happy thoughts about themselves, made posters or lists about things they wanted in life and BOOM! A while later these things came true for them. Hear me, I believe that we can change our life experiences and emotions by focusing on our blessings rather then what we DO NOT have, but God is the One in control of those things not the "inner-self" of our wicked and depraved selves.

Think for a minute if you have personally "fallen" for false teachings. Ten years ago I did and it made me SICK when I realized it. I was dumbfounded that "I" was deceived. We HAVE to be watchful and careful about EVERYthing we allow into our mind and heart. Has anyone ever read a popular book about your "purpose" in life? I cringe at the very thought of how many people are being fed such shallow and sometimes twisted theology. There are so many to name and I don't want to look critical or hateful. I just hope that believers will stop falling for every little new thing that comes out as a "self-help" device.



My heart was sent straight to Scripture to see for myself what God has to say about these kinds of things. Well, whatayaknow, He has ALOT to say about it. Here are just a few:

Jeremiah 23:16--This is what the LORD Almighty says, "Do not listen to what the prophets are prophesying to you; they fill you with false hopes. They speak visions from their own minds, not from the mouth of the LORD."

Matthew 24:24-25--"For false Christs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and miracles to deceive even the elect--if that were possible. See, I have told you ahead of time."--Jesus' words

II Peter 2:1, 18--But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They secretly introduce destructive heresies even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them--bringing swift destruction on themselves. Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute. V. 18--For they mouth empty, boastful words and, by appealing to the lustful desires of sinful human nature, they entice people who are just escaping from those who live in error.

I John 4:1, 5-6,--Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. V.5-6:They are from the world and therefore speak from the viewpoint of the world, and the world listens to them. We are from God, and whoever knows God listens to us; but whoever is not from God does not listen to us. This is how we recognize the Spirit of truth and the spirit of falsehood.

Now for the BEST part!

I John 5:20--We know also that the Son of God (Jesus Christ) has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true. And we are in him who is true-even in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life.

John 8:31-32: To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free."

John 14:6--"I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."--Jesus



I will be gone for a week. All of these Scriptures have happened just like God said they would. Think about these things and rant all over the comments if you want. I WANT to know what people think about these things. I walked into my church building yesterday and was overwhelmed with thankfulness for a Bible-believing, God-fearing, people-loving body of Christ followers. We are not perfect, but PRAISE GOD--Truth is being taught here. Amen and Amen. To God be the glory!

17 comments:

JenLo said...

I watched the same show and I came to the VERY same conclusion! It is really sad to see somebody so influential leading people down the wrong path. God doesn't call us to judge others, but you hit it right on the head---he does call us to be "fruit inspectors" and we have to make sure that we and those we listen to are bearing fruit.

Hope your trip is blessed!

Sophie's Mom said...

Amen Sister! I've been thinking the same thing! Well written!

Journey on! by Kelleye said...

Exactly...
She is really dangerous- her influence is alot like what we read about - So many worship the ground she walks on and believe her every word- and she continues to just slip things in... I have never understood people who watched her and couldn't see thru her- this comes as no surprise- picked a perfect person to represent doncha think- the most powerful woman in the world!

Ashley said...

Preach it sister! ;) My initial thought whenever I hear people talk about "self-help" is almost always this ~ why would I rely on my inner-self when Psalm 51 clearly tells me that I was sinful at birth? Would I rather trust my inner self or the One who sees the COMPLETE picture? It breaks my heart to know that people are searching for something to fill that hole in their heart that only Jesus can fill and end up falling for nonsense. Jesus help us!

~LL~ said...

Sadly it stretches to certain religions, too....

I hadn't seen the Oprah episode...I dislike her, so. I think she is dangerous.

Many of the books you talk about have given me pause, too. You don't want "purpose?" that is one of the biggest, isn't it...I suppose it is no "secret" either.

God bless you for putting it out there...and all of us....

BE CAREFUL LITTLE EYES WHAT YOU SEE!!! For the Father up above is looking down with love, so be careful little eyes what you see!

Terri said...

I totally agree with you! I lost respect for Ophrah a long time ago. I saw one of her shows one day (I never watch her) and it was on how different people believing different things and could still get to Heaven. That each person could get to Heaven different ways. A Christian woman stood up in the crowd(they let them comment with microphones) and said their was only ONE way to Heaven, through Jesus Christ. Ophrah went on to say over and over she couldn't get into a religious discussion on the show! The whole show was a "religious dissussion"! I turned her off right then and have not listened to one word she has said sense! She is scary and even if I wasn't a Republican I would be scared of the candidate she is backing! Yes, it was fortold many years ago that people would come and fill peoples heads with lies. How sad that some of our "own" are falling into the trap b/c she has become a figure of wisdom to women of this country.

All's we can do is pray for the lost and for the saved that God will protect them from these false prophets. Thanks for sharing this today, it was something I wasn't aware of totally.

Anonymous said...

Very well put! I don't ever watch Oprah, now I know why!! :)

elizabeth said...

I watched most of that episode and then erased it. It just gave me a very sick feeling in my stomach. I watched a little girl talking about how when she wanted things, the "universe" would give it to her. Very bizarre.

I like TiVoing Oprah. I love half the stuff she airs (Dr. Oz, Oprah's favorite things, etc.) but when I read on my TiVo synopsis that her show is about "housewife lesbians who finally are living their best life", I hit the erase button!

Kelley said...

Yes, yes, yes! Thank you so much for writing all this down. I also stumbled on that particular show by accident and was SHOCKED by what I heard. I have loved the Oprah show in the past, but she is going down a very troubling path these days with this "stuff".

It's no secret...There is ONE God who is the ONLY way!

Don and Lisa Osborn said...

I applaud you for your boldness! It is scary how watered-down our society has become--especially believers. We spend more time in the self-help section than in the ultimate self-help book--the Bible. How can people discern false teachings if they aren't even in the word?

Thank you for speaking from your heart--even when there are millions who wouldn't like what you have to say. We're not called to be popular, right?!

Have a great trip!!!

Fondly,
Lisa

What's next said...

You said it!!! Praying for you on your trip.

Mommy Spice said...

I had to turn it off within the first 5 minutes because I was already appalled (sp?) at what they were saying.

Nikki said...

I used to watch (and love) Oprah...but now I can't stand to watch. I think how blessed she has been and what she COULD HAVE DONE in her position, but chose not to. She is a friend to ALL people - and would rather refer to God as "a higher power" than who He truly is. Maybe she doesn't want to turn anyone off and risk losing viewers? And have you ever noticed when someone mentions Jesus Christ on her show, she quickly changes the subject!?
It's sad, really. Ugh.

Hope your Missions trip is going amazingly well. Can't wait to hear all about it!

Jinglebritches said...

You said it sweet sis!!! Live out loud!!! Prayers for your mission trip.

Love you

Terri said...

Hey, Check out the blog facelift! It looks so great!

Also, did you hear about the latest addition coming to the Mackey family! How exciting!

Denise C said...

I agree! Hope you have a completely awesome mission trip...full of Kingdom rewards for everyone involved! IT is so inspiring to see Sweet people being "Jesus' Hands and Feet" to a world who is searching!!! Can't wait to hear all about your mission adventure!
Love,
Denise

Loraena Tuttle said...

Bravo. Amen. You are so right. Oprah does not recognize the absolute truth of scripture. I can't stand to watch the show either. I get so frustrated when I see how easily people fall prey to false gospel and all that feel good crap, until I remember how GOOD God has been to my by opening my eyes to HIS truth! I need to pray more faithfully that he will open other peoples eyes to it too!