Saturday, February 23, 2008

Guatemala Trip-Part 2

Here are a few more pics from the mission trip. I am adding just a tip of the ice-berg of what we did. More to come, so keep watching! ; )

PandaPop led the kids in Bible Study while one of our precious translators, Heidi, conveyed everything to the kids in Spanish. I love this pic because the sun is reflecting off the page and illuminating his face. Isn't that just like God to be cool like that?!
Part of our team putting together a small library for the kids. My GREAT friend Abby --are you reading that, Abby? ; )-- is getting her Master's in Library Science and was perfect for this trip. Her skills were awesome! Now we all just hope that the library stays put together! LOL! The kids couldn't keep their hands off the books. They LOVED them!

I LOVE this pic because every church we have served in PandaPop somehow gets all the kids to "high-five" him up and down the halls. This was long before he was a Children's Minister. He just loves making kids feel loved and visible. These kids were no different. They all loved giving him their high-fives many times.

Kids will be kids...no matter their geography. ; )

One of my good friends with her digital camera and some of the boys. All the kids wanted their picture taken over and over! Sounds like American kids, too! They would see one of us get out our camera and start yelling, "Un foto, un foto!!"

Everyday we were at the orphanage we had to leave to eat so we went to the same restaurant and had really great food for hardly any $$$ at all. I had a problem with this at first because I felt badly that the kids didn't get to eat as well as we did, but then our guide told us that by us doing this we were really helping their economy. That made me feel ok in doing it, plus what else were we going to eat? NOT the fresh veggies or fruit! This meal was sooooo yummy! Over the course of the week I seriously downed at least FOUR whole avocados! They grow there and are divine!

This is one of the orangeade-slushie things I told you about in the previous post. The lemonade one was really the BEST!

This was ACTUALLY on the door to one of the restaurants on our way to Zacapa. I just HAD to take a picture!!! If you can figure out if the animal on the bottom is a dog or a goat...please let me know. ; ) Whatever it is, just don't take it IN the place, OK?

9 comments:

Nikki said...

Your trip looked absolutely amazing. Love seeing all of the pics and hearing the details!
XO

~LL~ said...

Love the pictures! I KWYM about the kids and pictures. They loved having them taken and loved looking at themselves. You had good food, it looks like. I remember on my missions trip, I had NO LESS than 4 corn tortillas PER MEAL! After 10 meals...well, let's just say my homecoming was welcome for my digestive system LOL!!!

Abby said...

Woohoo! PandaMom mentioned me by name in one of her blog posts!! This rates up there with walking on lava with Brittainy and Melissa!! haha!! But all kidding aside, I loved that I got to share the "Guatemala experience" with you and PandaPop! Y'all made it it interesting and y'alls love for our God really showed throughout the trip!

Terri said...

Loved the hi five! I remember that so well. Do you remember "Oh my chicken?" I still say that even though he taught it to the kids so they wouldn't say oh my God or something like it. I loved how he did that!

Steffie B. said...

What an experience....I so want to do this someday. We were just talking about such things last night. I'm glad it was a good experieince for you and that you could share your love for our Lord with these children!

Mommy Spice said...

Ooooh, that food looks delicious. I LOVE avacados!! Great pictures!!

GloryandGrace said...

It's definitely a dachsund. So, I could totally bring Nali into that restaurant, but if I had a weenie dog, nope not allowed!

redmaryjanes said...

You can tell that the kids just loved you guys!
I think it's bizarre that that would be on a door of a public place...is that a rat on there?

Adele said...

Oh I loved this post about your mission trip. I can tell that Panda Pop loves kids. I bet he is an awesome children's minister. Would yall like to move to Mississippi??? :)
I loved seeing all of these pics and seeing you guys love on those kids. This is awesome stuff!!!