Thursday, February 28, 2008

Thursday Thirteen #25-Late 80's Nostalgia



PandaPop and I have been having a really fun time on Facebook this week. We have both connected with lots of friends past and present. I have had fun connecting with some "old" high school buddies and strolling down memory lane a bit. Hope any of you who were in high school in the late 80's enjoy this little memory clip. I graduated in '89 and always come across others from that year. Parents must have REALLY been enjoying their relationships in 1970 because we 89ers are a HUGE bunch!

1. Friday Night Football! The cheerleading, football players, band, bus road trips, late nights, after the game stuff, pep rallies, homecoming....all of it was so fun and a BIG deal in Texas small towns!


2. Reebok hightops---you either had them or you wanted them. These were going to be great in Aerobics! ; )


3. Any decent 80's kid rocked out to Def Leppard. However, after seeing them on VH1 as an adult and seeing their past ways??? Oh--MY--GOODNESS! They were sex-crazed maniacs! Music AWESOME---lyrics..BAD.


4. Remember these?...For you young 'uns, they were called "cassette tapes" and once they unraveled and you couldn't use your finger to roll them back up...well, you just chunked 'em!


5. POOFY...METALLIC prom dresses...two years in a row. Let's pick blue first, then green. Oooh-lah-lah.



6. I had an adorable '78 blue mustang which was lovingly referred to as "The Smurfmobile" because my long blonde hair looked like Smurfette's. Loved my car!


7. George Strait....oh my! When I was 16 I went to a concert and was forever in "love"....my red ropers were my other vice at the time...yeehaw!


8. Small cuffed jeans...couldn't find a pic, but you know if you folded and cuffed your jeans...admit it.

9. Big Hair Bands


10. Pop Rocks...came out in the 70's, but I remember eating alot of these in high school. YUM!


11. Ray Ban sunglasses. I never had the real-deal, but these fakes are just lovely, don't you think? (Never mind the white leather fringed jacket....can you say, "Ferris Bueller's Day Off"?)


12. Teen Movies...now I have seen them as an adult and they were HORRIBLE for us! Not very moral or value oriented for church-going girls, huh? Though fun at the time, these movies are FILLED with less than appropriate material for young minds!!

......and I saved the best for last:

13. Even better than a side ponytail is a side BRAID with some mighty POOFY bangs! Yes, I am actually holding Little Foot from "The Land Before Time". Don't know why or whose it is or what stupid photographer would have handed it to me. Apparently, I agreed. Oh, thank God, I'm almost 40 in a few years!


If you were in high school in the late 80's, I hope you got a giggle or two from this....I know I sure did! ; )

19 comments:

Taylor said...

Wow, what a blast from the past. I graduated in 90 and remember all of those things sooo well. And I totally agree about the movies. I have all the VHS tapes and had to put the away in the closet to be sure Jasmine didn't pop one of them into the VCR by mistake...yikes!

GloryandGrace said...

Isn't it disturbing that all the people in that heavy metal band are MEN?!?! And yet, they're all wearing makeup...

This made me laugh and reminded that we're not SO far removed from one another even though I was in a different decade. And I've realized that the older I get, the closer we are in age -- and I LOVE it :)

Oh, and I don't remember if I told you, but I watched "The Breakfast Club" for the VERY first time not too long ago -- HORRIBLE (with Molly Ringwald playing the exact same pouty teenager as she did in every movie during that time)!

Nikki said...

I LOVE the 80's so that was very fun for me. (I graduated in '91)
Your side braid was great - and I used to have those bangs!

Anonymous said...

I can relate to all of those. The big hair is the greatest!!! My kids make so much fun of me when they see the old pictures. One thing you didn't say was parachute pants!!!

Phat Girl said...

CUTE! I graduated in 92, but was always an 80's fan! I had the worst bangs..poofy and HUGE!

Elise said...

Loved it!!! I am such an 80's girl...and could "totally" relate! Thanks for the trip down memory lane;)

~LL~ said...

OK...you have GOT to email me (you can get my address from MommySpice) and tell me where you went to school. The football team looks like MOJO! I, too graduated from a SMALL West Texas town in 1989 where football ROCKED! I had the red ropers and a crush on George (still do!) I was a twirler for the band and wore the big hair (could only wash it once a week so that I may poof it up bigger the next day) and I was first chair flute in the band. I was also lead soprano in the choir and played the lead in "Bye Bye Birdie."

I had the high tops, the metallic prom dress and had to sneak the cassette "Slippery When Wet" by Bon Jovi because my preacher daddy would have had a burnin' I'm sure. I drove a cherry red Celica 5-speed with a hatchback and picked up friends to go cruisin'. I LOVED The Breakfast Club and Sixteen Candles.

But I NEVER had a Debbie Gibson side ponytail! LOL!!!!!

Tell me where you grew up!

Mississippi Girl said...

Tee hee... LOVE that hair!
I did an "I Wish" post today- Thanks for asking me to play along!
Jennifer R.

Ashley said...

Would I be aging myself if I said I didn't have a clue what any of the things you mentioned were??? ;)

Mommy Spice said...

I already saw this post at your house, but I have to continue laughing at the Land Before Time picture and the Thompson Twins look alike picture. Hilarious!!

We had a great time with you guys tonight. Wish we could do it more. S.G. was snoring half way home.

Much Ado said...

Great TT, a real blast from the past!

Don and Lisa Osborn said...

I applaud you for your boldness in posting these GREAT pictures. It was fun traveling down memory lane with you. I graduated in 1986, so I instantly remembered many of the things you posted about.

I must admit, I still love hair bands--especially DL. I know they aren't wholesome but boy is it fun to clean the house to!!!

Thanks for the fun!

Lisa

Cammie said...

Yup! Right there with ya!

That is soooo funny!

Journey on! by Kelleye said...

Why YOUR pictures look so Retro and mine don't- I will never know- LOL- I am rolling right now-
Very cute this was.. very cute..

Adele said...

Oh my, I had to laugh out loud and go tell my husband about you loving George Strait and having red ropers. I LOVED (and still do) George and had to have red ropers as well!!! HAHAHA. Too funny. I could totally relate to everything on this list. I mean EVERYTHING. Gotta love the 80s.

Jinglebritches said...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Thinking of you, 80's Princess!

Kim said...

I graduated in 86 and know these things all to well! I love the pics of you...you were cute! (in an 80s kind of way!)

I have naturally curly hair, so I had the big hair down pretty good!

This is so funny! I have a facebook,too...we will have to be friends!

Abby said...

Great list! I loved the pictures of you, and we had mixed tapes in the 90s version of HS too. Although I think our hair was better in the 90s.

Loraena Tuttle said...

thanks for stopping by my blog

LOVE that pic of you and "little foot". =) I remember watching that movie as a kid and LOVING it sooooo much!