Saturday, January 19, 2008

Joy Jar




I was so excited to find this great idea last week on someone else's blog. I don't know if the blogger came up with it on their own or if they found it somewhere, but I loved it for our home. It's called the Joy Jar and it is filled with fun things to do together with PandaGirl. For us what seemed to work is having 10 activities over the course of one month which PG gets to draw out of the jar and we do right then or that day. The next month we put all the cards back in and start over. I had to think through about how often to let her draw so that I wouldn't let her draw a card and then say something like, "No, not right now." The whole point is to make it fun and "spontaneous" for her! Here are the 10 activies:

1. Paint fingernails and toenails
2. Bake something yummy
3. Play hide & seek
4. Read 3 books
5. Play card or board games
6. Color with markers or crayons
7. Play in her room together
8. Paint with paintbrushes
9. & 10. Believe it or not, I can't think of the last two and I don't have the list with me....BUMMER!

Anyhoo, you get the picture and your list would be different anyway. I just got the vase from the garage, wrote on index cards cut in half, hole-punched and tied with a curling ribbon. I also put a Scripture on a card from the Bible that reminds us to be full of Joy because of what the Lord has done for us. PandaGirl was SOOOOO excited about this. I have to admit that I am just as giddy wondering what fun thing will come out of the jar to do together. We already pulled out the "paint" together one and had a blast! Maybe this is something you'd enjoy with your kiddos, too.

11 comments:

Steffie B. said...

Excellent idea.....may have to do that with my Things as well...although I can see seperate jars! lol I'll look forward to your email! What's up???

Denise C said...

How fun!!! I'll bet Panda girl is so anxious to get started!! You are such a fun Mommy!!!
Blessings to ya!

redmaryjanes said...

Wow, that is a great idea. I could do that with Eli and when he is being a very good boy, he could pick something out of the joy jar. I love that.

Anonymous said...

What a neat idea! I may have to do this also. I am with Steffie though, I think I will need seperate jars.

Don and Lisa Osborn said...

What a fantastic idea. Thanks so much for sharing. I really love this aspect of networking via blogs...

Lisa

Terri said...

Great idea! Sounds too fun!

LaLa said...

Great idea..my friend has the "lizard jar" (b/c it is a jar with a lizard on it) and it has fun activities too for their daughter to draw out.... such fun

Mama Darling said...

Great idea! Isn't it amazing how busy we get and before we know it, the day is gone and we haven't spent the time we needed to with our kids. I know that my girls wouldn't let me forget to pull an activity from the jar.

Nikki said...

Oh, I love that idea too.
Gotta have a joy jar for these cold winter months here...

Adele said...

Oh I just love this idea. Thanks so much for sharing. We do so many fun things and sometimes it is hard to decide what to do next. Mallory and I actually painted together today. Isn't it fun getting to be a kid again. I love playing with her toys almost as much as she does.
Thanks again for sharing this great idea.

Mommy Spice said...

That is a great idea. Do you have something in the Joy Jar for us. We sure could use it right now....LOL!!

We're home. D.S. has a new phone, same number.

Love you guys!!