Friday, November 30, 2007

Personal Choice



OK. A few nights ago we watched "Super Size Me". Yuck. I felt so gross after watching this documentary. I felt like I had destroyed my body over the many years of eating fast food. Don't get me wrong. I totally knew everytime I shoved a piece of fast "FOOD" in my mouth that it was less than healthful, but to see what happened to this guy's body over the course of one month? Let's just say my perspective is forever changed about eating in joints like Mickey-D's. The fatness of America is completely mind-numbing. The jokes and instant need to laugh about the horrible food we eat has to stop. We are just as guilty with the whole "let's just laugh" our way to an early grave thing. PandaPop has joked many times about how he wants "to go with a Big Mac in one hand and a fries in the other!" YIKES! That has been our mentality along with "trying" to eat "right" every now and then.

I posted a couple of weeks ago (but deleted it because it linked to my Vemma website with my name on it) about our new super-duper healthy liquid vitamins, Vemma. We have been thinking about really getting healthy, but can't seem to get away from the pull of unhealthy eating out of mere convenience. I assure you. After watching "Super Size Me"...decided to do away with fast "FOOD" at most any cost. The stuff practically isn't even real food! I am aware that I will be an outcast at times and not the most popular mommy in the group when I won't let my daughter eat the crap served for children at these places, but hey, I already won popularity votes in high school and it hasn't really meant a hill-o-beans in real life. So as far as someone rolling their eyes at me for NOT indulging in the fat epidemic anymore...let them. I am responsible for me and my family not theirs.

I also learned from a doctor in the movie that people who are "addicted" to chocolate....REALLY ARE!!!!! THAT'S what's wrong with me. Seriously, I can't just eat a little chocolate. I can't stop!!! No amount of will power does it. I either have to go cold turkey and quit or else I just keep poppin' chocolate like a drug addict would pop pills. The doc said that the same drug given to a heroin overdose patient in the ER to stop the opiates from telling the brain to get high and pulls them out of a coma can be given to a "chocolate addict" and the drug will stop the addiction. Now don't go thinking, "Hey, I need that drug!" LOL! I have just decided that I have to think of chocolate as heroin to my body. I can't handle it. I have to go cold turkey and just say no to my chocolate friends. Bye bye. Oh, that hurts. Chocolate malts. Chocolate chip cookies. Ghiradelli. Dove. M&Ms. Smores. Oh my...I'm feeling weak. Anyway, I made a decision and feel great about it. I have already had ample opportunity to splurge in the past couple of days since my declaration against Sir Cocoa and DIDN'T HAVE ANY!!!!!! Yeah me. No---hold that thought---Yeah GOD! Only by His grace can I even dare to "give up" something so yummy. I know I am doing the right thing for me. Difficult? Yes. Necessary? You better believe it.

Since watching this documentary I have eaten well and exercised. Go me.

Please don't comment about how YOU could never give up chocolate. Believe me, no one is more addicted than I...WAS. I am excited to see a new transformation in me and PandaPop. It's about time.

16 comments:

C said...

Our newest change has been phasing out refined sugars. I was a complete sugar addict. Within one week, I experienced dramatic changes in my cravings - DRAMATIC!!!!!

Yea for you. We have kids in the neighborhood who baulk at my whole wheat honey cookies, and make faces when they see the soy milk. Oh well. I also have an 8 & 9-yr old(s) who read labels of cereal, and freak out every time they see "high fructose corn syrup."

Don't get me wrong. My son will take syrup on his pancakes at Mamaw's house with a big, fat smile on his face! Yet at home, he covers them in honey.

We still have treats on occasion. Tonight, the kids will be roasting hotdogs and marshmallows in the fire place with their friends who are spending the night. Yet, tomorrow we'll be back to the whole foods, whole grain boogie! :)

Phat Girl said...

Great Idea! 2008 will be a thinner, healthier year for me! Very Limited Flour and Sugar, LOTS of veggies, protein, and fruit! I need to get healthy!!!

JenLo said...

I watched that documentary too. I could not BELIEVE how that guy did so much damage to his body in just a month. Unbelievable how unhealthy our country is!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds very interesting! I will have to find the video. I understand the addiction thin though, I haven't smoked in a month. Yes it has been VERY HARD! But I am so determinded this time to quit for good! I do have the help from the gum, but it is better than lighting up! :)

Snow White said...

you did it for ten weeks you can do it again. still have your present for bd. it has a fall theme and now we are in Christmas. maybe you'll get it by valentines! smile.
love,
maude

Nikki said...

Glad to hear you are eating well and feeling better!
GOOD for you! You and Panda Pop are setting a great example for PG.

redmaryjanes said...

I saw that documentary too and it was very eye-opening. I couldn't believe it. The downturn in that mans health was just crazy. We are trying to eat lighter and lose some weight here too.

Mardi said...

I am excited for you! Way to go! I believe you are giving one of the greatest gifts to your daughter by doing this! :)

Steffie B. said...

ok.....where do I watch this? I so need some motivation to shed some poundage! And what about this Yemma? Email the link address would you? Do you buy directly online?

Mommy Spice said...

Ok, I'm telling you, I haven't had a hamburger or fries in over 3 months; with the exception of a few fries off of D.S.'s plate. It's hard, I'm not gonna lie. When we go to fast food places, I find the best salad I can find. I WANT a burger and fries. But I have not felt this good in years. You CAN do it. Now chocolate, I haven't deprived myself from. BUT, I watch how much I eat. I don't just pop them in any more. I savor one or two bite size peices, preferably dark chocolate. YOU CAN DO IT!! Yeah you!!

Much Ado said...

Hi there! Good for you, I say!! I remember watching this DVD and being horrified!

Hope all is well on your side of the world! :)

Rmomof3 said...

Very cool Pandamom!
Perhaps we can motivate one another.
I didn't want to eat my salad with vinagrette for lunch today, but then I thought about how I would feel if I didn't! Perhaps my beloved and I will have to watch Supersize me - though he doesn't need it - LOL! Soooo unfair!

Mama Darling said...

Good for you! You are such a good cook, there's no need to eat out at fast food places anyway. Wishing you the best!

Steffie B. said...

where are you?????? ;)

GloryandGrace said...

So is this how it's gonna be - you leaving comments only when you think I've waited to long to post??? It's official that you are the bigger Geek.

:)

Kim said...

That's great! I know it can be hard...but a life free of disease and good health is worth it...we are not getting any younger and still raising little ones, so we have made every effort to eat right and exercise...I actually enjoy it...I love checking out the organic section of groceries stores...I have avidly been reading labels,too.

I have been eating very healthy lately and plan on keeping it up. I am really into organic and all natural things...lots of fruits and veggies...salmon and lean meats...raw nuts and seeds. My husband does pretty well...he only eats chicken sandwiches at Fast Food places. He eats what I cook, which is very healthy. We do not drink soft drinks...except my big girls can occasionally. If I do happen to be at a fast food restaurant, I order salad for me and the fruit and milk options for the kids.

When I have tasted something really sweet or greasy, it just was awful because I have not had it in so long.

I do sometimes have a DOVE dark chocolate,though.

God has given us these provisions for good health so in a way it is good stewardship to take care of oursleves and our children.

Great post and good for you, Panda Mom!!!!